6 Sep 2017
Gold-backed ETFs increase by 31.4t in August to 2,295t in global holdings
Welcome to the newly updated monthly analysis of gold-backed ETFs and similar products, where you will find detailed information and insight on global trends of gold investment demand through ETFs.
Regional fund flows
- North American ETFs drove global inflows in August as investors added 27.8 tonnes ($1.3bn, 2.6% AUM)
- Flows in Europe were mixed with a net increase of 6.4t ($321mn, 0.78% AUM)
- Asia funds lost 2t ($80mn, 3.0% AUM), with many of the Chinese gold-backed funds losing assets
Individual fund flows
- In North America, SPDR® Gold Shares led inflows with +22.4t ($1.03bn, 3.2% of AUM), followed by iShares Gold Trust with +4.6t ($266mn, 3.1% of AUM).
- European inflows were driven by Source Physical Gold +6t ($245mn, 5.5% of AUM) and ETFs Physical Gold +2.1t ($109mn, 1.87% of AUM).
- Global gold-backed ETFs collectively hold 2,295t and added 143.5t, equivalent to $5.3bn so far in 2017. This represents an increase of 5.5% of global AUM.
- European funds continue to lead inflows accounting for nearly 79% of all inflows during the year.
- European funds have increased their AUM by 12% on the year, while Asian funds have lost 16% of their assets.